Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"Once Beyond a Time" by Ann Tatlock

                                      Book Description

 December 4, 2014
After settling into an old house nearly hidden on the side of a mountain, a broken family discovers that their new home is no ordinary place. The family can see and speak with people who have lived there in the past, and with those who will live there in the future. Are these people apparitions or real? Could the house itself be the stuff of mountain lore, a place where all of time is happening at once?

It's 1968, and Sheldon and Meg Crane have just moved their family from suburban Philadelphia to the town of Black Mountain, NC. Sheldon has resigned in disgrace from the ministry after an affair. He will now sell used cars for his brother-in-law's auto dealership. Sheldon is burdened by his wife's unwillingness to forgive and his daughter's anger over the move. The oldest son is in Vietnam. The only happy member of the family is his eight-year-old son, Digger. But then, Digger suddenly disappears. Has he been kidnapped or has he wandered off into the mountains? How does the "house beyond time" show one family the healing power of forgiveness and the loving sovereignty of God?



Author Info: 


I knew I wanted to be a writer from the time I tapped out my first stories on my grandfather's old manual typewriter in the summer of 1973. I studied English and theology in college and later went on to earn my master's degree in journalism from Wheaton College Graduate School. I worked as a writer and editor for Decision magazine from 1987-1992, when I left to pursue fiction writing fulltime. I find great satisfaction in my work, and I especially enjoy hearing from my readers. In addition to writing, I'm also the managing editor of Heritage Beacon, the historical fiction imprint of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas.

Ann Tatlock is a novelist and children s book author. Her books have received numerous awards, including the Christy Award, the Midwest Book Award and the Silver Angel Award for Excellence in Media. She also serves as managing editor of Heritage Beacon, the historical fiction imprint of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. She lives with her family in Western North Carolina. Please visit her website at anntatlock.com.


My Review: 

"Once Beyond a Time" by Ann Tatlock is a really good book in spite of my initial reaction which was I don't like this story! This story deals with a preacher whose family has to move due to his affair with his wife's cousin. There is also mention of drug use (weed) by his teenage daughter.


The story is written like each character is telling the story in their own words. It is a easy story to follow as the character's words are written as chapters in the book with the character's name as the chapters heading. 

I really started following the story more as Digger comes up missing. So this story is about betrayal and trust and forgiveness and Hope. I always hate to add this to a review because I want what I read to show God, but because I know that not everyone likes Christian stories I do add this statement, God is shown in this book but the story is  not preaching and yes I believe  nonChristian would like this book. This book even has a character saying he doesn't believe and yes I was hoping that by the end of the story he had changed his mind, he didn't, I hope this doesn't mean that I have added a spoiler in this review!

Once Beyond a Time shows how a family in turmoil might look from God's point of view--outside of time. Characters from different eras engage with one another as the story unfolds. This story is filled with history and a certain "Star" plays an important part of this story! Have I peaked your interest in reading " Once Beyond A Time" ? I hope so as it might just change your mind about time and why things happen the way they sometimes do!

And I have to tell you that towards the end of the book my emotions kept changing from feeling sadness to happiness and to I knew that was going to turn out that way to wow I really didn't see that happening! I won't tell you if the book has a happy ending or not but I will tell you I don't think you will feel that you wasted your time if you pick up this story and read it! I know I don't feel like I wasted my time!

"Once Beyond a Time" by Ann Tatlock is definitely a five star novel!

 

Just to increase your appetite a little more here is a quote from the book " We can live in the now and remember the past, but we have to trust the future to the One who is already there, and who has at least told us in His Word that we're moving toward a happy ending.That's all we're allowing to know, but it's enough. don't you think?"

Have you ever started a book and within a couple of chapters you think I don't like this book and why did I ask for a copy to write a review on but then you are really surprised when you love the book and you wish there was a series. Well "Once Beyond A Time" is such a book for me! I was given a copy by Avid Reader Reviews.com for my honest review. 

No comments: