Tuesday, February 3, 2015

"The Salt Covenants" by Sylvia Bambola

Book Description

 January 14, 2015
 1493: Isabel has broken her mother’s heart by becoming a sincere convert to Christianity. But when she is noticed by Friar Alonso at La Casa Santa, the Holy House, she is forced to flee the Inquisition by entering into a loveless marriage and sailing with Christopher Columbus on his second voyage to the New World. But all too soon Isabel is forced to struggle alone in her new life and new faith. With all the risks and hardships how is she to survive? And will she ever find love in this strange land? And what of the dangerous Enrique Vivar? Will his hidden agenda cost her her life?


                                   Author Bio: 
Born in Romania in 1945, Sylvia Bambola lived her early years in Germany. At seven she relocated with her adopted family and saw the Statue of Liberty and America for the first time. But the memory of those years in Germany inspired her to write Refiner's Fire, which won a Silver Angel Award, and was a Christy Finalist. Her frequent moves as an "army brat" gave her an opportunity to see America and fall in love with her new country. Bambola has authored six novels, has two grown children, teaches women's Bible studies, loves gardening and is learning the guitar.

My Review: "The Salt Covenants" is not an easy read but at the same time I could not put the book down. This book is full of heartache but at the same time full of triumph. This is a historical novels with a good dose of romance and adventure! Their is also betrayal and forgiveness.

"The Salt Covenants"is written as if Isabel is telling her story.  While reading this story I felt as if Isabel was talking to me and that I wasn't just reading a story! 

This book is a look at how life was for someone that wasn't free to openly show that they were a Christian and it deals with every facet of life.

I was wondering why the title and was glad to found out the reason in the story and it is so fitting, but you will have to read the book yourself to find out why.

I have never read a story about Christopher Columbus, other than history books in school, and this makes me see him in a different perspective. Yes, I know this is fictional but he could have been like this. Okay, I will close this review before I give anything away. 

If you like historical fiction I recommend you read Sylvia Bambola's books. 

This is the second book of Sylvia Bambola's that I have read and I was so impressed at how both of them has made a lasting impression on me that I went on a search to find every one of her books, two of which are no longer available, but I found them at a library sale and have the others checked out from the library, so I guess you can call me a real fan of Sylvia Bambola.

I was given an ebook copy for an honest review. It is a five star book.



1 comment:

Judy said...

Great Review Debbie!

Blessings!
Judy B