About the Book
Book: Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Author: Janice Thompson
Genre:Christian Fiction / Mystery / Romance
Release date: January 1, 2023
Inquisitive, detail-oriented, Veterinarian Kristin Keller prides herself on winning over any dog. But has this self-proclaimed dog whisperer finally met her match in a Sheltie named Remington who has just won the Texas state agility course competition? The champion pooch is acting out of sorts—almost as if he is not the same dog. Has he, by chance, been switched out with another dog just before the next big competition? Kristin and the other Lone Star employees will do anything to help the Atkinson family figure out this mystery surrounding their beloved Remington.
Click here to get your copy!
This was a fun read! I really kept guessing on who steal Remi and every time I thought I had it fingered out, I was wrong. The ending really surprised me. I recommend all three books in this series if you like clean mysteries and especially if you like dogs and let’s not forget the cat. The romance was fun to read as well.
About the Author
Janice Thompson, who lives in the Houston area, writes romantic comedies, cozy mysteries, nonfiction devotionals, and musical comedies for the stage. She is the mother of four daughters and nine feisty grandchildren. When she’s not writing books or taking care of foster dogs you’ll find her in the kitchen, baking up specialty cakes and cookies.
More from Janice
Barking up the Tree is book three in the Gone to the Dog series. Kathleen Y’Barbo and I are writing six books, in total, and we’re very excited about this series. I happen to be in the dog rescue business. I’ve worked with multiple Houston-based dog rescues over the past five years and have been blessed to care for over fifty dogs in nearly every shape, size, and breed. I am always interested in dog-themed stories.
As a Texan I wanted to place this series in my neck of the woods. Kathleen and I settled on Brenham, Texas, a town not far from where we both live. It’s the home of Blue Bell ice cream (yum!) a favorite here in the Lone Star state. We created a large fictional cast of characters and placed them in a town we know and love.
Along with writing books I’m also a baker and run a baking blog (www.outoftheboxbaking.com). With that in mind I would love to share a recipe from the book. Enjoy!
Nanny’s Coconut Pecan Cake (aka Italian Cream Cake)
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened coconut (flakes)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding (powder)
FOR THE FILLING/TOPPING:
- Toasted coconut
- Toasted chopped pecans
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 cup (two sticks) salted butter (softened)
- 1 block cream cheese (softened)
- 1 rectangle Crisco (can omit if you prefer traditional cream cheese frosting)
- 1 bag (7-8 cups) powdered sugar
- Clear vanilla extract
MAKING THE CAKE:
- Combine all ingredients except nuts and coconut. Mix well.
- Work in the nuts and coconut.
- Grease and flour three 9” pans.
- Divide batter between the three pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (approximately) until cake springs back to the touch.
MAKING THE ICING:
- Bring ingredients to room temperature.
- Mix butter and cream cheese until soft and creamy.
- Add Crisco and continue to beat until incorporated. (You can leave out the Crisco if you prefer traditional cream cheese frosting.)
- Add extract and then lower the speed of your mixer to add powdered sugar (more or less to desired consistency).
FILLING AND ICING THE CAKE
- Level all three cakes.
- Put one cake on your cake board and add a layer of cream cheese frosting.
- Pipe a ring around the edge of the cake and add some toasted pecans and coconut.
- Continue to stack and fill.
- Turn the top cake upside down, so that it’s bottom up.
- Ice the cake with a crumb coat and chill.
- Once chilled, ice liberally with frosting.
- Add chopped (toasted) pecans and coconut to the sides and top then pipe trim or rosettes to add further décor.
Babbling Becky L’s Book Impressions, January 26
Book Reviews From an Avid Reader, January 26
Tell Tale Book Reviews, January 27
Remembrancy, January 27
Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, January 28
For Him and My Family, January 28
Texas Book-aholic, January 29
deb’s Book Review, January 30
Mary Hake, January 30
Locks, Hooks and Books, January 31
Cover Lover Book Review, February 1
Ashley’s Clean Book Reviews, February 1
Because I said so — and other adventures in Parenting, February 2
Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, February 3
Pause for Tales, February 4
The Book Club Network, February 4
Happily Managing a Household of Boys, February 5
Blogging With Carol, February 6
Library Lady’s Kid Lit, February 7
Little Homeschool on the Prairie, February 7
Labor Not in Vain, February 8
Divine Perspective, February 8
To celebrate her tour, Janice is giving away the grand prize package of a $25 Amazon gift card and a copy of the book!!
Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.
This sounds like a terrific book.
This sounds like an entertaining story, a really fun mystery to try to solved.
Thank you for sharing your review of Barking Up the Wrong Tree, this sounds like a fun mystery read and I am looking forward to it.
sounds great, i definitely want to try the recipe too
Post a Comment