Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Spotlighing Megan Besing



Megan Besing adores reading, writing, and reviewing stories with happily-ever-afters. She’s received many awards, including being a multi-category finalist in ACFW’s Genesis and a winner of MCRW’s Melody of Love contest. Her debut Perfect for the Preacher released February 2018 in Barbour’s Mail-Order Brides Novella Collection.


She lives in Indiana with her husband and their children, where she dreams of the beach and drinks way too many Vanilla Cokes. Connect with Megan on Facebook and at www.meganbesing.com.






Interview

Hey Debbie, thanks so much for letting me stop by!

What most draws you to mail-order bride stories?
I think it has to do with the bravery factor. And I’m sure I romance the idea that all the couples found true love. Of course, that didn’t always happen in real life. But the bravery part was for sure real. I don’t know if I could have left everything familiar and trusted that whoever waited for me on the other end would treat me fair or be all I hoped. But as for my heroine, Sophie. She needed to have a fresh start, and she thought marrying a preacher, even sight unseen, was the best possible route for her. And I’m so glad she did. πŸ˜‰

When did you start writing?
I tried to narrow it down the other day, and I think it was 2012. But what’s more interesting is I wasn’t reading fiction until my mid-twenties. (I know. Trust me. I missed so much!) But I finally figured out what everyone else already knew: That reading was awesome. After a few years of reading nonstop, I finished a story that at the end made fun of God. I didn’t like it. So, the next morning I woke up and thought I’d just write a book like the kind I wanted to read. And six years later, I’m still writing. (And, reading of course.)

Do you listen to music while you write?
The short answer is: Sometimes. I actually prefer silence. 😊 However, I don’t often get that in my house. So, if things are noisy, aka if anyone is home, then I like to listen to either classical music or the Piano Guys or really most anything that doesn’t have lyrics. Otherwise, I’d do more singing than actual writing.

What was the most fun to write about in your story, Perfect for the Preacher?
I loved writing two of my side-characters. I’m sure uou can probably guess who they are after reading the story. But I also really enjoyed writing the entire congregation of Hilltop Chapel. Bringing all their moods, business meetings, quilting circles to life was a challenge and entertaining all at the same time.

Do your main characters have any of your character traits?
My stories are usually always fiction based, but there are a few real-life things sprinkled throughout. I think the hero and heroine would unfortunately share some of my downfalls more than anything. I like to make people happy. And sometimes in life, that just can’t happen.

When you’re not doing the author thing what are you doing?
In my spare time, my current hobby is reading. 😊 But I’m a mother and wife, so that keeps me busy on its own. I also babysit for a few munchkins a few days a week while my own kiddos are at school. But I do love vacations, especially ones that include the beach.


Thanks for letting me stop by. Does anyone have any questions I didn’t answer?

BookSpotlight
The Mail-Order Brides Collection: 9 Historical Stories of Marriage that Precedes Love

What kind of woman would answer an advertisement and marry a stranger?

Escape into the history of the American West along with nine couples whose relationships begin with advertisements for mail-order brides. Placing their dreams for new beginnings in the hands of a stranger, will each bride be disappointed, or will some find true love?

Perfect for the Preacher by Megan Besing
1897, Indiana
Fresh from seminary, Amos Lowry believes marriage will prove to his skeptical congregation that he’s mature. If only his mail-order bride wasn’t an ex-saloon girl, and worse, pregnant.

Purchase Links
Amazon Barnes and Noble


upcoming facebook party link where there will be giveaways https://www.facebook.com/MeganBesingWriter/photos/gm.212943602601848/917232228435352/?type=3


















1 comment:

Megan Besing said...

Thanks so much for having me!